Wednesday 29 September 2010

The World Cup Trophy in Valencia

 

After arriving in Valencia on the 18th of September, the World Cup trophy went on a whistle stop tour of the region before returning to the 100 years of Football exhibition at the Principe Felipe Museum in the City of Arts and Sciences.
The turn out to see the World Cup Trophy, which was won by Spain earlier this year in South Africa, was everything you would expect, queues at all hours of the day. I thought I would be clever and get there early, but a good 200 more Spanish (who are not great early morning people) had beaten me too it! However, once the exhibition opened the queue moved fairly quickly and in the end I only had an hours wait.
Entry was free and you were able to take your own photos, pose and touch as much as you liked, you just had to put up with the embarrasement of the rest of the queue watching you. (which didn´t seem to bother the Spanish at all!) Being a true Brit... I hid my "will I look ridiculous" doubts, and stepped up to the pedastal, took the World Cup Trophy in my hands, and the smile was automatic.

There was a whole selection of cups and trophies on display, including the European Championship Cup, also won by Spain in 2008 and current holders. This was also a big photo shoot point, but with less audience. Also on display was the UEFA Cup and Copa del Rey (Kings Cup) the Spanish equivalent of the FA cup.

The rest of the exhibition had some photos and historic football memorabilia, but it was very overshadowed by its prize piece the World Cup Trophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment