Wednesday 2 February 2011

Renewing Residency Card in Spain

Renewing Residency Card in Valencia, Spain
 
This is my first hand experience, having just completed the renewal of my "tarjeta de Residencia" Residency Card today!
 
I also had to change my address, so, not being able to contact the comisaria (police station of issue) by telephone, I took the initiative and decided to get a certificate of Padron before I went.
Now as I am already "padronado" all I had to do was go to the Junta Municipal for my district with my Residency Card (which is out of date!. so took passport along as back up!) and they issued the certificate there and then in an instant.
The worst part was expecting there to be queues and a long wait, but having arrived 30 minutes before they open, i found myself second in the queue, so all very quick and painless.
 
Then my next trip was to the Comisaria for renewal of DNI etc. (not the same as the place if you are applying for the first time!, so be aware). Again worried about queues, I arrived 20 minutes before opening, and again was second in the queue.
A very "stern" policeman (for not wanting to use a rude word) came out on the dot of 9am and started shouting orders for everyone to form an orderly queue and if they were there with friends and not wanting actually do any paperwork then to "clear off" in no uncertain terms. I must admit, we were all in an orderly queue until he appeared, so i guess he has learnt over the years and puts order straight away!
 
I entered straight away and took my seat, asked for renewal of my TR and change of address, he asked for my card and padron! (pat on back for my initiative!). He then asked if i had paid the "FEE" ..."what fee?" I asked, there is a 10€ fee, he issued me with a form which I had to take to a bank and pay, then return with all the previous documents and my Passport! (fortunately again my initiative one through as I had my passport in my pocket!)
 
So a quick dash to the bank, payment made and returned to find no queues at all, the (this time almost polite) policeman ushered me right through, I handed over all the documents and the very nice man handed me the NEW CERTIFICATE of Residency.
He advised me that this certificate doesn´t have to carried on me, it is solely for use if demaded by banks or other official uses. I must carry ID issued by own country be it an ID card or Passport. I asked if a photo Driving Licence was sufficient and his answer was that a DL is solely for permission to drive, some shops may accept it for use with credit cards etc but it is not an ID.
 
So there you have it. My next test/mission is to change my UK driving licence to a Spanish one as it is about to expire this year, so keep following my posts here....

No comments:

Post a Comment